Correct /etc/gettydefs for a Serial Console

Grant Erickson erick205 at umn.edu
Thu Apr 5 01:51:29 EST 2001

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Brian Kuschak wrote:
> Second issue first.  You need to change the si line to this.  This
> causes init to wait until this is finished before continuing.
>
> si::bootwait:/etc/rc.sysinit
>
> I use the following line in my gettydefs:
>
> # 9600 baud Dumb Terminal entry
> DT9600# B9600 CS8 CLOCAL # B9600 SANE -ISTRIP CLOCAL #@S login: #DT9600
>
> And this in my inittab:
>
> # Run gettys in standard runlevels
> cn1:123:respawn:/sbin/getty -h ttyS0 DT9600 vt100
>
> This works well on a custom PPC405 board.

Unfortunately, neither of these changes seemed to influence much. However,
what was different is that I'd previously specified my getty line as:

	co:123:respawn:/sbin/getty console console

Changing it to:

	co:123:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS0 console

didn't do much to help my "CR/NL" problem as shown below. In playing with
it though, I did change ttyS0 to ttyS1 (the other serial port). This DID
fix the below "CR/NL" problem as desired; however, now the console login
prompt shows up on the wrong port.

What finally DID work was to move the 'co' inittab entry to the bottom,
AFTER all the 'l#' entries.

Thanks for the tip which got me going in the direction I needed!

Regards,

Grant