switching linux kernels

Graham Stoney greyham at research.canon.com.au
Wed Sep 27 11:40:21 EST 2000

Julia Elbert writes:
> In 2.2.14, I need to have the Copy-Back Data Cache option off for my drivers
> to work with video, same as in 2.2.13, or I else I get corrupted video data.

Turning off copy-back has a global performance hit, so it's a pretty nasty
workaround for cache coherency bugs in a single driver.  It's OK when it gets
you going in a pinch, but as you've found, these bugs keep coming back to bite
every time you upgrade to a more aggressive caching regimen.  Also, perhaps
your driver isn't doing I/O barrier stuff properly; does it use insx/outsx &
friends from asm/io.h, or does it dereference pointers directly, forgetting
the eieio's?

Regards,
Graham
--