rebooting with the FADS

Jerry Van Baren vanbaren_gerald at si.com
Wed Sep 20 22:37:30 EST 2000

There currently is no formal convention for restarts (i.e. it isn't
defined in the EABI :-), but PPC implementations that I've been
associated with use the convention of 0xFFF00104 being the restart
location.  The first instruction executed is at 0xFFF00100 and is set
to be a jump to the cold start location.  The next instruction is then
a jump to the restart location.  Many (all?) PPCs and/or their
associated hardware require different handling based on whether they
have been initialized before or not.

I strongly advocate adopting this convention.  It is much cleaner than
the alternative of trying to leave flags laying around in RAM.

gvb