Differences between MPC823 powerpc & any other powerpc

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Tue Sep 12 04:51:23 EST 2000

clark at esteem.com wrote:

> At 11:48 AM 5/12/00 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> >Hello,
> >
> >I would like to know what are the basic difference between the MPC823
> >PowerPC and any other PowerPC , say, the G4? Why dont the binaries running
> >on G4 not work correctly on the MPC823?
>
>         For starters the MPC823 has no FPU. I think you could compile FPU
> emulation into the kernel to remedy this but I'm not sure. G4 compiled
> programs may use alti-vec instructions but I'm not sure on this either.

In addition to no FPU, the 8xx series also has half of the cachelines
that all
of the other PPC's have.  (4xx, 6xx, 7xx, 74xx, 82xx)  This causes a
problem
with glibc [and possibly other things] which expect a certain line size
to do
fast memset's, memcpy's etc.  (The result of having the wrong cacheline
size
is to miss area's of memory in the previous listed functions.)

Also w/ the no FPU comes ABI issues including (especially?) var args
issues.

--Mark