Embedded Distrubution Choice

clark at esteem.com clark at esteem.com
Fri Sep 8 08:26:20 EST 2000

At 01:55 PM 9/7/00 -0400, you wrote:

>We are in a process of buying embedded Linux ?
>Can some one guide me on which distrubutions are good/bad !
>We had a look at BlueCat recently.
>
>Regards
>Pravin

        I would suggest Hardhat but thats all I've worked with. Watch out
for ones like Lineo that include some of their code that they charge
royalties on (If you don't mind royalties go ahead and ignore this warning).
We haven't had to buy anything in code for the linux kernel. In fact we
received our Hardhat Journeyman Edition free in a magazine. So far we have
been quite happy.

        Red Hat has come out with their own embedded devkit, Last time I
checked they wanted about $200 for it. But I haven't played with it, or
talked to anyone who has. I've been dying to recomend it to somebody so I
could find out what its like. ;-)

        Good Luck,

        Conn Clark