Linux kernel modules and the GPL

Jon Diekema diekema_jon at esseye.si.com
Fri Sep 1 23:33:15 EST 2000

I thought that loadable Linux modules avoided the GPL requirements, but
perhaps it doesn't?
I guess you need to go back the GPL license, and understand what a derived
work means.

 From COPYING in the Linux Kernel source:

                    GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
                        Version 2, June 1991

0. This License applies to any program or other work which contains
a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed
under the terms of this General Public License.  The "Program", below,
refers to any such program or work, and a "work based on the Program"
means either the Program or any derivative work under copyright law:
that is to say, a work containing the Program or a portion of it,
either verbatim or with modifications and/or translated into another
language.  (Hereinafter, translation is included without limitation in
the term "modification".)  Each licensee is addressed as "you".

 From COPYING in the Linux Kernel source:

dell 108} head COPYING

    NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
  services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
  of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".
  Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
  Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the Linux
  kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.

                         Linus Torvalds