Safe shutdown on IDE boot

Alex Shnitman alexsh at hectic.net
Wed Oct 11 05:44:14 EST 2000

Hi, Zhaobin!

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 02:01:53PM -0400, you wrote the following:

> I boot Hardhat linux on IDE disk on sp7400.
>
> But I can boot it only once.  The next time I boot,
> I see
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 284k init
>
> and hangs there.
>
> I put the disk back to Host and found some problem with fs on this disk
> and I can fix it by "e2fsck".
>
> I guess i had problem with safely shutdown.
> Anybody knows how to do the "shutdown" safely ?

I have the exact same problem when I boot without an HD but with NFS
root over the network. So I don't think it has to do with shutting
down properly. All eyes to our MAG and Wizard. ;-)

--
Alex Shnitman                            | http://www.debian.org
alexsh at hectic.net, alexsh at linux.org.il   +-----------------------

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.