Ethernet Trouble

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 10 11:43:27 EST 2000

In message <1.5.4.32.20001010000239.006b54d8 at pop.esteem.com> Conn Clark wrote:

> >Either it can't find init, or it's a shared library problem, or  your
> >console device is missing, or ...
>         Right now I think that it can't talk to the console or init uses a
> function in ld.so.1 to spit a message to the console and is failing to load

So what is /dev/console on your system?

I know that it used to be  a  symlink  to  /dev/ttyS0  on  sme  older
systems,  which doesn't work any more. Make sure you have a character
device major 5 minor 1, i. e. something like that:

crw-r--r--   1 root     root       5,   1 Mar 22  2000 /dev/console

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
He'd been wrong, there _was_ a light at the end of the tunnel, and it
was a flamethrower.                         - Terry Pratchett, _Mort_