MBX860 Linux

Jamie Guinan guinan at bluebutton.com
Thu Oct 5 03:17:39 EST 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Daniel Furse wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend a real-time embedded linux version for the MBX860
> board?
>
> I am evaluating alternatives, but the only option I have so far found
> is the MontaVista Hard Hat linux with their Real-Time Scheduler.

Is there a problem with this one?  Hard Hat worked great for me on an
MBX821.

I used CDK 1.0 which includes hhl-ppc_8xx-kernel-2.2.13-3.noarch.rpm.
I didn't have any hard realtime requirements, so I didn't bother to
look at the realtime stuff (I believe that's in a separate patch anyway).

The newer CDK 1.2 even comes with vi and other goodies - I can't
see any reason not to use Hard Hat.

The only problem I had with the MBX was the lack of schematics (maybe
someone at Motorola actually has them, but I was not able to locate
that person).  If you're considering buying new boards, you might look
at the Embedded Planet boards.

-Jamie