MPC850 and ATA/IDE

Dan Malek dan at mvista.com
Wed Oct 4 13:53:43 EST 2000

SangTae Ha wrote:

> Hi,
> I am looking for the solution that I can use ATA/IDE general hard disk

There are at least three easy and inexpensive ways people add ATA/IDE
to the 8xx processors for embedded systems:

	Connect to PCMCIA interface
	Use a simple CPLD between the processor bus and disk
	Program one of the UPMs to generate timing and then
		externally buffer the signals

>  MPC860 or MPC821 CPU is used and Wind bond 83C553

It is a more difficult solution on the 850 because of the PCI bridge
(fewer
physical address lines).  It is also the most expensive in money, board
space and software.

	-- Dan