mount RAMDISK directly on rom

Daris A Nevil dnevil at snmc.com
Sun Oct 1 00:34:35 EST 2000

Hello Jari,

The QSLinux kernel supports reading from a Flash'ed filesystem.  The
kernel does not make use of the initrd image.  It stores the kernel as a
compressed image in one area of FLASH, and the remainder of FLASH is
organized as an ext2fs filesystem (using the compression patch).  You
initially boot using only the kernel and rely on an NFS mount for the
filesystem.  You then format the FLASH disk, and copy whatever files you
need, along with creating the special dev files.  Then when you reboot
you use the "init=/dev/ftla" command line option to tell the kernel to
boot using the on-board FLASH filesystem.

The QSLinux kernel contains all of the code plus scripts for
implementing this mechanism.  You can download the kernel from
ftp://qslinux.org/pub/qslinux.  On-line documentation is available at
http://qslinux.org.

Regards,

Daris Nevil

--