mvme2604 - using Gabriel's patches. NFS questions.

jlhagen at collins.rockwell.com jlhagen at collins.rockwell.com
Thu Nov 9 09:29:43 EST 2000

Hi,

I have two mvme2604 boards that are up and running with root mounted NFS
using Gabriel's patches against 2.2.12 kernel. The boot messages for the
boards always report " VFS: Mounted root (NFS filesystem) read-only".  Not
knowing NFS that well, is there a way I can change it so the boards mount
the file system as read/write? I do have the nfs sever /etc/exports file
set for "  /tftpboot/192.168.1.5      vme(rw, no_root_squash)"  read/write
as I understand it. Might be a stupid question but I need to be
enlightened.

With this same set up I have been playing with Gabriel's patches against
2.4-test series kernels and I usually get the following result from the
boot messages:

kmem_create: Forcing size alignment - nfs_fh
VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 08:01
Rebooting in 180 seconds

I'm passing the root=/tftpboot/<IP address> in on the "Load:" line. This
works just fine for the 2.2.12 Gabriel patched kernels. The NFS server is
an intel running a  fresh 2.2.17 kernel that I built, it's not running the
provided Redhat patched kernels. Is this an NFS compatibility problem
between the 2.4 series kernels and the 2.2 series???? I'm at a loss???

Thanks
John