Do you have your minimum ramdisk image which can provide basic network services ?

Tom Roberts tjroberts at lucent.com
Wed May 31 23:45:37 EST 2000

Daris Nevil wrote:
> The quick-and-dirty way of enabling your loopback device
> is:
>     ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1

Yes, I did that; I get:
	$ ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
	127.0.0.1: Resolver Error 0 (no error)
	Usage: ifconfig [-a] [-i] [-v] interface
	                [inet address]
	                [hw] [ax25 address]
	                [metric NN] [mtu NN]
	                [trailers] [-trailers]
	                [arp] [-arp]
	                [netmask aa.bb.cc.dd]
	                [dstaddr aa.bb.cc.dd]
	                [mem_start NN] [io_addr NN] [irq NN]
	                [[-] broadcast [aa.bb.cc.dd]]
	                [[-]pointopoint [aa.bb.cc.dd]]
	                [up] [down] ...

I have no idea what "Resolver error 0" is, nor why ifconfig thinks
that is an invalid command line....

	$ ping 127.0.0.1
	ping: unknown protocol icmp.

I think I need to be running inetd to implement the ping protocol, and
so far I have been unable to find a PowerPC image of inetd.

My /etc/protocols has icmp listed (copied from a working i386 linux).
I may have more serious errors, like incompatible libraries....

Tom Roberts	tjroberts at lucent.com