Floating point in 8260

Geir Frode Raanes geirfrs at invalid.ed.ntnu.no
Tue May 30 18:03:15 EST 2000

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Neil Russell wrote:

> As I understand it, there is no production 8260 without an FPU.  Current
> production chips are rev A.1 which have an FPU, and new production are rev B
> which will also have an FPU.  You probably have no choice for production, so
> you should upgrade your test board if it has old an CPU.

I suppose I can tell since currently shipping 8260 come with FPU.
Early 8260 are just like the early 486SX - it does contain a FPU,
but it is disabled. But unlike the 486SX the 8260 FPU can be
reenabeled by some microcode patch - wich I do not have myself.
This is as much I know of this. If you are really nice to
Motorola then perhaps they will let you have this patch.

> > Should i recompile the bash and c lib.How should i treat
> > float point.BTW,i have a apple G3,should i compile
> > these stuff on this machine?

configure & make xgcc -nfp?
Then recompile GLibC (with soft float) I suppose.

  Never ever underestimate the power of human stupidity.
  -Robert Anson Heinlein

		GeirFRS at invalid.and.so.forth