root fs on hdd

Dan Malek dan at netx4.com
Sat May 27 02:23:40 EST 2000

Steve Rossi wrote:

> I've copied the the /bin, /dev, /etc, /lib, /libexec, /sbin, and /share
> directories from the monta vista sdk to the root direectory of my ext2
> partition (/dev/sda2) using "cp -a" while the root partition was

Several problems here.  You can't "cp" the /dev directory.  Use 'tar'
or 'cpio'.

The MontaVista CDK is built to operate in the /opt/hardhat/..... directory
tree.  You have to preserve this directory structure to the target
file system as used by NFS because these paths are part of the
library search.  Copy the /opt/hardhat/...../target tree to your
system, then make symbolic links from /bin, /etc, /lib and so on into
the /opt/hardhat/..../target subdirectory.  All of this (and much more)
is described in the documentation if you care to read it.

	-- Dan