Floating Point problems with Linux on the EST SBC8260

Dan Malek dan at netx4.com
Thu May 25 13:45:27 EST 2000

Neil Russell wrote:

> We have an FPGA that implements part of the ISA spec, enough to do
> programmed I/O to an IDE device.  The FPGA has its own chip select and uses
> the UPM for timing.

Interesting....I have used an FPGA or the UPM to provide the ISA
bus timing, but not both at the same time.  I have UPM programming
for the 8xx that creates ISA bus timing, so I guess I could try that
on the 8260 as well.....I think it needs an external signal inversion,
but that is all.

> .........  When it works,
> it will be slow, but we probably don't care - we are not building a
> file server.

Hmmmm....I'll bet it can be made to work with compact flash as well....

> ....  It will probably still be slow, but he CPU will no longer be
> held up.

Depending upon the data flow, they may still share a common internal
bus....Plus you tie up the CPM.

> Got any better ideas?  (no PCI, no expensive chips...).

I just gave it away, and I have another project on the pile :-).

	-- Dan