Floating Point problems with Linux on the EST SBC8260

Neil Russell caret at c-side.com
Thu May 25 08:05:06 EST 2000

I ported 2.2.14 to the SBC8260 myself.  I did this because the 2.3 kernel
was unstable at the time I started.  I asked Dan for his work but we was
reluctant.

Initially, the kernel panic'ed trying to run init because the C library
uses the FPU by default (this is one of the reasons for the stuff Dan
did for the 860).  This problem was solved by upgrading the CPU to rev A.1,
which has a fully functioning FPU.

The first time I brought the kernel up I just used a /bin/sh, and no init.
The shell I used was statically linked (from /bin/ash.static I think).

I'm part way getting the SCC ethernet to work and fixing the way I do
bootinfo.  I'll look to making a patch after that (hopefully within a
week).

My development environment is a G3 blue and white MAC, running Linux 1999 Q3.
I compile the kernel native on that machine.  All applications that I
use are directly from that CD.  I make a RAM disk image that I download
to the board.  This RAM disk has very little in it.

Neil.

--
Neil Russell <caret at c-side.com>