Queries regarding porting Linux on MPC850

Graham Stoney greyham at research.canon.com.au
Wed May 24 11:03:15 EST 2000

Hi Manav,

Manav Mediratta writes:
> For my project I need to port Linux to a MPC850 board ( our H/W is still
> at schematic level but we are acquiring a test board from Motorola ).I
> have already setup gcc x86/linux -> ppc/linux cross compiler and compiled
> the mpc8xx-2.2.13 source with it .Now can you give me a few tips as to how
> should I proceed about this job once I get my test board .

Sure. There are a bunch of tips, in the HOWTO at:
    http://members.xoom.com/greyhams/linux/PowerPC-Embedded-HOWTO.html

They include:
    - Consider other options before simply settling on a Motorola board.
    - Pick the off-the-shelf board that's closest to your final hardware.
    - Avoid doing a custom board if possible.
    - Use the kernel from the MontaVista site, rather than old mpc8xx-2.2.13.

That should get you started!

Regards,
Graham
--