EST SBC8260 Linux memory mapping rules

Dan Malek dan at netx4.com
Sat May 20 11:34:24 EST 2000

diekema_jon wrote:

>         - The compressed Linux kernel (zImage) contains a bootstrap loader
>           that is position independent; you can load it into any RAM,
>           ROM or FLASH memory address >= 0x00200000 (above 2 MB).
>
>           Note: If zImage is loaded at its link address of 0x00400000 (4 MB),
>                 then zImage will skip the step of moving itself to
>                 its link address.

The zImage should be loaded above the link address by at least the
amount of memory required by the uncompress/setup functions.  If you
load it below the address, it could potentially relocate itself on
top of the kernel or ram disk image.  For example, the uncompress/setup
functions are linked to run at 0x00400000, based upon the current size
of the functions, you need to load above 0x00407000.  I would pick
0x00480000 or higher, just to not worry about it.

>           and I/O devices above phsical address 0x80000000.  The lowest

You could fix this typo....it should be 'physical'.

	-- Dan