CVS

Ruedi.Hofer at ascom.ch Ruedi.Hofer at ascom.ch
Mon May 15 20:08:34 EST 2000

Hi

I have a slightly off topic question: How do you control your Linux files?

I tried to use CVS and wanted to keep all files stored in there. I imported
directories containing complete Linux distributions....

I ran into problems with those files:
- /dev/xxx
- binary, executable files

I need ideas, scripts
- How to preserve the permissions for the /dev and executable files.
  (The PRESERVEPERMISSIONS switch is too strong and complains
    about 'hard linkage errors' when rebuilding binaries and committing
    to the repo again!)
- How to distinguish automatically between binaries and text files.
  (Automatic control of the -kb switch!)

Cheers,
Ruedi Hofer