Help about the libc-2.1.1 segmentation fault

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 12 15:07:52 EST 2000

In message <001e01bfbbae$2d0e03a0$69f001dc at sjzhu.sps.mot.com> you wrote:

> Firstly, thank you for your kind help.
> In fact, my root file system is libc-1.99.so.  It assures me to begin to
> work.
> I build another file system to test the libc-2.1.1.so. It likes
>            ----  lib/libc-2.1.1.so
> /mnt ----------  bin -------- hello.dynamic, which built with libc-2.1.1.so
> library
>           |              |--- hello.static, which built with static library
>           ------ sbin/

Combining libc5 (1.99) and libc6 (2.1.x) withing one  system  is  not
easily done.

The only way I got  this  working  is  _strict_  separation  of  both
environments; separate directories is not enough.

Try the following: install a STATICALLY linked shell  (for  instance,
sash)  as  /mnt/bin/sh;  then  run "chroot /mnt /bin/sh", so that you
have a staicallly linked shell  running  in  a  chrooted  environment
where   ONLY  libc-2.1.x  files  (binaries,  libraries,  loader)  are
visible.

This way I've been testing my 2.1.x (x=1, 2 and 3) libs and  binaries
for a while.

Works fine for me, hope it helps.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
C++ was an interesting and valuable experiment, but we've learned its
lessons and it's time to move on.
                            - Peter Curran in <DCqM4z.BxB at isgtec.com>