flash drivers

Brown, David (dbrown03) DBrown03 at harris.com
Wed May 10 23:41:50 EST 2000

I'm planning to use drivers/char/amd_flash.c myself, as a flat stream
"file".

The ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/CDK.tar.gz sources also include a
flash translation layer (ftl.c) so flash can be used as a read/write
filesystem.  I won't be using that though, since I noticed a patent
reference in drivers/block/ftl.c, which an exemption for PCMCIA drivers.  In
linuxppc we're usually talking about on-board flash, so be careful.  I'd
guess that such encumbered code won't make the standard kernel.

It would be nice if we could have something like drivers/block/ftl.c without
using patented methods.  If that's not possible, the next best thing would
be a specific exemption for use on the linuxppc kernels, even if flash is
on-board instead of PCMCIA.

ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/CDK.tar.gz and have