Another try at the run-from-Flash issue for MPC8xx/MBX/custom

Brown, David (dbrown03) DBrown03 at harris.com
Fri Mar 31 00:56:59 EST 2000

I agree, 40 seconds is too long: he must be doing something wrong.
But even 5 seconds is annoyingly long for an embedded system.

I haven't found anything better than LZO for compressing flash.
It is wicked fast, takes very little code, and no dynamic memory for
decompression.
Compressing takes some memory, and can be slow at higher compression levels,
but that happens once on the host so it isn't an issue.

LZO is available under GPL.  Perhaps someone could investigate using this
for compressing the Linux kernel and initrd.  Alas, I don't have time right
now.
--
Dave Brown <dbrown03 at harris.com>
Principal Software Engineer, Harris Corporation

http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/lzo.html