Disabling interrupts

Greg Johnson gjohnson at research.canon.com.au
Fri Mar 24 09:31:15 EST 2000

Why don't you just use DMA? Have a couple of buffers and flip between
them writing the data to disk while the DMA controller handles the
reads. Again, this will mean writing a module.

Greg.

Quoth Pavel Roskin:
> > Does it have to be a user mode piece of code?  You're going to have real
> > trouble figuring that out if so.  Could you put that small portion of code
> > into a kernel module and just load it from your user program to do what it
> > needs to?
>
> Well, this code needs to read some data continously. Then the data must
> be processed and written to a file.
>
> If you expect problems, I could create a new syscall and pass a buffer to
> it. Probably this should be Ok. But the buffer can be huge (comparable
> with the RAM size), so I would like to avoid copying data. This means that
> the kernel needs to write to the userspace buffer directly.

| Do you want to know more?                          |
|               --== Greg Johnson ==--               |
| HW/SW Engineer      gjohnson at research.canon.com.au |
| Canon   Information  Systems   Research  Australia |
| 1 Thomas Holt Dr, North Ryde, NSW, 2113, Australia |
| "I FLEXed my BISON and it went YACC!" - me.        |