Question on QSPAN Driver

Steve Rossi srossi at ccrl.mot.com
Tue Mar 21 06:44:35 EST 2000

Dan Malek wrote:

> > So here are my questions:
> > 1. Why doesn't qspan_init ever get called before the PCI bus is scanned?
>
> That is the job of something during the boot process before the Linux
> kernel is started.
>
> > 2. Should the pci_scanner function in arch/ppc/mbxboot/pci.c be called
> > in
> > place of the normal pci_scan_bus() function in drivers/pci/pci.c?
>
> No, those functions are very different.  The functions in 'mbxboot'
> are used to initialize and map the PCI bus.  The functions in the
> Linux kernel are discovery functions.

Ok, now this is making a whole lot more sense to me, so where would
be an appropriate place to call qspan_init and pci_scanner from?  I
understand it should happen before the kernel loads, is it something
that would make sense to put in embed_config.c? Is there a more
appropriate place to put it? I can't find where (or if) it happens for
the mbx board.

Thanks!
Steve

Steven K. Rossi                     srossi at ccrl.mot.com
Staff Engineer
Multimedia Communications Research Laboratory
Motorola Labs