Question on QSPAN Driver

Steve Rossi srossi at ccrl.mot.com
Tue Mar 21 02:57:08 EST 2000

I'm using the Monta Vista CDK - linux-2.2.13 kernel + tools on custom
hardware with Tundra's QSPAN II PCI bridge. I've noticed
that there are two occurances of qspan_pci.c and pci.c - one in
arch/ppc/kernel
and another in /arch/ppc/mbxboot. The functions in the two pci.c files
are
different, but the qspan_pci.c functions are essentially the same - with
the
exception of CONFIG_RPXCLASSIC support in the version in /arch/ppc/
kernel (seemingly indicating that its an updated version) and the lack
of
qspan_init in that same version. When I include the QSPAN PCI support
in the kernel configuration - it appears that during the PCI bus scan at

boot time the version of  qspan_pcibios_read_config_byte() in
arch/ppc/kernel/qspan_pci.c is called.

So here are my questions:
1. Why doesn't qspan_init ever get called before the PCI bus is scanned?

Where should it get called from? Should any of the functions in
arch/ppc/
mbxboot/qspan_pci.c get used or is it superceded by
arch/ppc/kernel/qspan_pci.c?
2. Should the pci_scanner function in arch/ppc/mbxboot/pci.c be called
in
place of the normal pci_scan_bus() function in drivers/pci/pci.c? If not

where would the pci_scanner() and other functions in
arch/ppc/mbxboot/pci.c be used?
3. Does Linux have a table of valid memory areas for peripheral devices
-
I've seen this in other embedded OS's. The kernel is crashing on the
first
qspan_pcibios_read_config_byte() with "kernel accss of bad area" - even
though chip selects are set up correctly for the area its accessing and
don't get machine check interrupts when I manually access that
particular
location through a debugger. But when the kernel does that access it
never even makes it out on the bus. Do I need to set something up so
the kernel knows that's a valid area? If so where do I do that? Is this
something that is supposed to happen automatically?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Steve

Steven K. Rossi                     srossi at ccrl.mot.com
Staff Engineer
Multimedia Communications Research Laboratory
Motorola Labs