What is the catch with IDMA on MPC860?

Richard Hendricks ra6353 at email.sps.mot.com
Sat Mar 18 08:20:02 EST 2000

Ah, but there's an assumption you're making Dan, and that's the IDMA
was added for the 860.  It was really added for camera customers using
the MPC821/MPC823.  That's why single buffer burst flyby was added,
and that's why it supports interlacing.  In the MPC823 manual, we even
describe how to setup IDMA to interface to a CCD camera with multiple
fields.

Anyways, IDMA performance is horse that has been beaten enough here
in Motorola.  The hardware DMA controller in the original 360 took
too much space, and so using the CPM to do IDMA was born.  For most
situations, it is a perfect compromise.

Actually, I was remiss in my earlier statement.  The biggest complaint
about IDMA is that you can't use it with Ethernet.  On the latest
version of the MPC823 this is fixed.  The problem comes about because
the CAM capability of the Ethernet can't be turned off.  CAM was removed
from the feature list of the MPC823, but wasn't removed from the die
itself until Rev. A (I think).  It caused us many a headaches as
we couldn't understand why a collegue's audio codec using
DMA would always go haywire whenever he received an Ethernet packet.