TCP/IP performance on the 855T/860T

Graham Stoney greyham at research.canon.com.au
Fri Jun 30 11:33:09 EST 2000

Dan Malek writes:
> The bottleneck is the protocol and application processing in the PPC core.

So has anyone had a chance to look at where exactly in the TCP/IP stack the
bottleneck is since this was last discussed?  Surely a 50 MHz part with an
on-chip 100 Mbps Ethernet controller has enough grunt to keep up with a single
TCP/IP connection.

> Just write a program (nttcp works) to benchmark using the local
> loopback device.  That will tell you what the processor can
> accomplish.

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran my tcp test through the loop device on the
50 MHz 860T CLLF board, and it gives a little over 4 Mbytes/sec. So Dan's
absolutely right as usual; the problem isn't in the FEC, it's in the protocol
stack. Somewhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Graham
--