omitted kernel sections

Jerry Van Baren vanbaren_gerald at si.com
Mon Jun 26 22:48:36 EST 2000

Jon Diekema and I tried Wolfgang's "load" flag hint with the EST JTAG
debugger and were unsuccessful.  We were unable to use objcopy to make
the extra sections loadable.  We are guessing that you have to set the
loadable flag, but you also have to label the section ".text" for the
tools that are giving problems (EST in our case).  Jon produced a patch
(based on work by Arto Vuori) which goes into the makefile and makes
valid loadable sections out of the gzimage (compressed kernel) and the
rdimage (initial ramdisk) sections.

Dan Malek has rejected the patch in the BitKeeper tree, although Jon
and I disagree with him.  I didn't find Dan's reply in the archives, it
apparently was a direct reply.  His arguments, as I recall (and my
apologies, Dan, if I get them wrong), are:

* It makes the image larger.
 > Not really, its just some more elf headers that get stripped on loading.

* It isn't how everybody uses the load: everybody just strips the elf
header (pastes on a proprietary(?) header) and uses it as as a raw
binary image
 > I disagree, we ran into the problem, developers before us ran into
the problem, and it is coming up again.

* It requires an extra relink step.
 > Not a big deal in my book given the benefits: a valid elf file that
is loadable by commonly used tools.

Dan said in a later message that he had put together a C program that
rewrote the elf headers to make the file a loadable elf file, but I
have not investigated his program.

I'm having problems finding the messages in the archives using the
search (it apparently is only searching June -- the indexing only
covers the latest month?).  For details, see the summary of the May
messages, which includes Jon's proposed patch:
http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-embedded/linuxppc-embedded.200005

Search for the following header: