PCMCIA ATA flash support?

Lucinda Schafer lucsch at adaptivemicro.com
Wed Jun 21 00:08:34 EST 2000

Michael,

We are not using Montavista's Hardhat Linux or a RPX lite; but we are using
the tarball version of 2.2.13 and a board with a MPC823. We also are not
using a PCMCIA card, but we are experiencing occasional, but persistent,
KERNEL Mode Software FPU Emulation Panics. This error is unrelated to the
FPU emulation. It occurs upon an illegal access to a register or an illegal
execution of a nonsupported opcode. So far, all we have determined is that
it has something to to with the memory management and page switching.

Since it is so intermittent for us and usually occurs on boot-up, we are
having trouble debugging this. Perhaps you have found a case which
consistently forces this error. Please keep us updated on your findings.

Hint: add a backtrace print out to the traps.c file in the Software
Emulation routine where the panic is called. Use your System.map file to see
if you can find the last functions called, for example:
      		show_regs(regs);
	   		print_backtrace( (unsigned long *)regs->gpr[1] );
	   		instruction_dump((unsigned long *)regs->nip);
			panic("Kernel Mode Software FPU Emulation");

Lucinda Schafer

Adaptive Micro-Ware, Inc.