SCC used for WAN connection

hugh.mcdonald at nokia.com hugh.mcdonald at nokia.com
Fri Jun 16 09:21:16 EST 2000

On 30/5/00 Ruedi Hofer wrote,

>I'd like to use one of the currently unused SCC's as WAN interface.
>My ultimate dream is to run PPP or Frame Relay at a speed of
>2Mb/s on it.

Hi Ruedi,
    I too am hoping to one day run one SCC on an MBX860 board as a 2M WAN
port. My general plan was to run the SCC in HDLC synchronous mode and use
the PPP protocol on top of this.  From my quick investigation I found that
in the LinuxPPc /kernel/drivers/char area there some files synclink.c
(rewrite of serial.c) and n_hdlc.c (rewrite of ppp.c). Together they form a
Linux Device Driver & line disipline for a synchrouous PPP link.
Unfortunately the synclink.c driver is dedicated to a PCI serial card
produced by MicroGate.
   What is needed is a new version of 8xx_io/uart.c that sets up and drives
the SCC as a synchronous serial port. This may then be useable with the sync
PPP line disipline from the above driver.
  I have started playing with it but only when I have some spare time....
and I dont seem to get much of that these days :-(

   Please let me know if you get any info from other people or find out any
other possible solutions....

Regards
   Hugh McDonald
   hugh.mcdonald at nokia.com