MBX hang (tlbia)

Jamie Guinan guinan at bluebutton.com
Wed Jun 14 03:13:26 EST 2000

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Jamie Guinan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with the mpc8xx-2.2.13.tgz kernel on a MBX/821
> board.
>
> ... I've been trying to get the board to boot
> without help from EPPCBug.  I borrowed some init code from eCos...
> ... but it hangs in arch/ppc/kernel/head.S at
>
> 	tlbia			/* Invalidate all TLB entries */

Just for future reference in the list archives, I got my bootloader
to work.  It turns out that eCos uses the MMU to map cacheable and
non-cacheable regions.  They have a function hal_map_memory()
which seems roughly analogous to ioremap().  Anyway, by simply
commenting out the parts of their 8xx init stuff which sets up
the MMU and TLBs, I can boot Linux and the tlbia falls through
without a hitch, and I get my shell prompt a few seconds later.
Joy...

-Jamie