Task Queues

Daris Nevil Daris.Nevil at snmc.com
Fri Jun 9 01:01:51 EST 2000

Greg,

Not sure what is going wrong for you, but I can show you what
works for me.

Somewhere in your device driver data structure (or as a static
variable) create a task queue:

    struct tq_struct bh_tq;

In your driver initialization function, initialize the task queue:

    static void bottom_half_handler(void* dev);

    bh_tq.routine = bottom_half_hander;
    bh_tq.data = (void*)dev; // Or pass whatever data structure you will need

Then, when you are ready to place your function in the queue:

    queue_task(&bh_tq, &tq_immediate);
    mark_bh(IMMEDIATE_BH); // This might be the step you are missing

The mark_bh() function sets a flag that tells the scheduler it needs to
run the list of functions in the tq_immediate queue.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Daris Nevil
SiSIC Inc/SNMC