HELP: Linux Net Driver confusions

Tom Roberts tjroberts at lucent.com
Wed Jun 7 07:28:24 EST 2000

Tom Roberts wrote:
> I am trying to write a network driver [...]
> In particular, I am trying to use non-ethernet headers, and cannot
> get the kernel to deliver a ping packet (ICMP protocol) back to the
> ping program even though the driver delivers the packets OK. BUT --
> essentially the same driver does seem to work on PowerPC linux....

Thanks to Jonathan Brauer, I got it to work.

Remarkably, the value in skb->protocol is in network byte order,
not the natural byte order of the current CPU. So changing:
	skb->protocol = ETH_P_IP;
to:
	skb->protocol = htons(ETH_P_IP);
made it work.

Note that the PowerPC byte order is the same as network order,
which is why it worked on the PowerPC but not the i586.

	[sent to both c.o.l.dev.sys and linuxppc-embedded
	 because I queried both.]

Tom Roberts	tjroberts at lucent.com