flash filesystem

Daris Nevil dnevil at snmc.com
Tue Jul 25 04:33:32 EST 2000

Mike,

We currently do what you suggest with our QS850 product using
our modified version of Linux 2.2.5 (QSLinux).  We have a small
(640K) "boot" area that contains the processor IPL+Kernel.  The
remainder of the FLASH we allocate as a FLASH Filesystem,
and we run the Ext2fs filesystem along with E2cfs (compression).
The /bin, /dev, /lib, /etc directories and files reside in the FLASH
filesystem and are retrieved at boot time.

We are working to cleanup our source for distribution.  I am hoping to
have it ready for publication later this week.

Please note that we developed our code "outside" the main linux
directory tree.  This was done to make it easier to fold these changes
into future kernel releases.  We are hoping that our code gets integrated
into the main branch of the Linux Kernel by some good hearted soul,
but we do not have the manpower to tackle that task at the moment.

There are also other components that may be of interest.  We have
an HDLC/PPP driver for the SCCs.  We have split Dan Malek's
SCC/SMC uart driver into 2 parts (1 for SCC and one for SMC),
but there is still more work to be done on it.  We also have an
ATM/UTOPIA driver, a driver for allocating and controlling the
I/O ports of the MPC850, a watchdog driver, and other features
worth looking at.

To learn about the features of QSLinux you can visit qslinux.com.
To learn about or QS850 product you can visit www.snmc.com.

Regards,
Daris A Nevil
SiSIC Inc/Simple Network Magic Corporation