-Werror is causing some heart ache

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Jul 11 09:42:59 EST 2000

Hello!

> In one of the recent changesets, the CFLAGS definition in ./Makefile
> was modified to add -Werror.  The -Werror option to gcc causes it to
> treat warnings are errors.

I have already complained about this to the main linux list. Warnings are
bad, but at this stage of the game it is an ordinary user recompiling the
kernel who suffers, not the sloppy developer.

Linux moves to the next stable release. What if in some configurations
some variables are defined but not used? Should we add more and more
ifdef's to fix those subtle warnings (and possibly break other
configurations without leaving the time to fix them)? I don't think so.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin