Help about MPC823 Video and Cache

Alan Mimms alan at packetengines.com
Thu Jan 27 12:15:10 EST 2000

We experimented at Apple with cacheable frame buffers and this is what we saw.

I believe this is caused by the cache being on for the region of memory used
for the frame buffer.  You'll see little 16 byte chunks of memory sparkling as
the cache finally dumps out dirty cache lines into the real frame buffer.

You can fix this by mapping the area of the frame buffer with cache disabled,
or you can add code to some periodic timer handler to do a DCBF on the region
of the frame buffer each time the timer ticks (this is not cheap, however).

On
Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Shuangjun Zhu wrote: > Hello, everyone

--
Alan Mimms     Packet Engines, Inc.     Spokane, Washington [99214-0497]
  USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, The Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, U0