linuxppc-embedded: main kernel tree

Alan Mimms alan at packetengines.com
Thu Jan 27 06:00:46 EST 2000

Dan,

Can you suggest a version of the 2.3.x kernel that WOULD build and work?  Is
there a simple way to retrieve it (i.e., one I can get from ftp.us.kernel.org)?
I have tried 2.3.34 and found that the 'make menuconfig' and all other ways of
simply generating a config were broken for powerpc in ways that I wasn't able
to understand.  (Looked like a missing endif or some such, but I was never sure
even after a couple of hours of study.)

What kernel source version from the "main" tree actually builds and works
pretty well for most/all of the 8xx platforms?  I am particularly interested in
the CLLF supporting kernel.

I can live with 2.3.x since I don't need ramdisk support for my intended
application.  In fact, I'm very interested in the new cramfs I have read about
as a solution for our flash based file system.  I'll probably dink with that a
bit next chance I get.

Thanks for any info...

--
Alan Mimms     Packet Engines, Inc.     Spokane, Washington [99214-0497]
  USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, The Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, U0