Cross-compiling standard utilities for 860

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 27 03:50:51 EST 2000

In message <388F1A55.D62E35B4 at netx4.com> Dan Malek wrote:

> You have to be careful here.  If you choose to use the in-line
> floating point software, you must use it for all applications
> because the libraries are built to do this as well.  You can't
> mix programs that use the kernel FPU emulation and also in-line
> software floating-point.  The kernel works out of the floating
> point register area in the TSS, while the software float assigns
> real processor registers (and other memory locations) to contain
> the floating-point values.

I am aware that  I  cannot  mix  this  WITHIN  ONE  application,  for
instance  compiling  the  app  with  soft-float and linking against a
library that uses the kernel FPU emulation.

Are there really problems when running soft-float only  and  FPU  emu
only applications on the same machine? I did not expect any...

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Anyone who isn't confused here doesn't really know what's going on.