WARNING OFF TOPIC SLIGHTLY: 8xx MMU w/8MB pages

Alan Mimms alan at packetengines.com
Wed Jan 19 06:11:40 EST 2000

Thanks, Dan, for the additional suggestion.

I would like to suggest that using one or two 512MB pages locked into the
TLB's top two slots using the "RSVDn" flag in the Mx_CTL register might be the
right way to go.  Unless you can physically see the RAM present in the 8MB
single TLB entry's mapping in two separate physical addresses (more than 8MB
apart), you'll basically have to waste the memory beyond the top of the
kernel's requirements with this scheme.  Granularity of 512MB would be a good
deal closer and then you can effectively reserve 1MB for the kernel (close to
its actual size) pretty easily.

Or am I misunderstanding the issue somehow?

--
Alan Mimms     Packet Engines, Inc.     Spokane, Washington [99214-0497]
  USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, The Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, U0