gdb from mbxroot.full.tgz complains: Not a typewriter

Graham Stoney greyham at research.canon.com.au
Thu Feb 17 11:59:17 EST 2000

I'm using mbxroot.full.tgz to develop/test a linuxppc-embedded application on
an Embedded Planet CLLF board, and I'm having some trouble running its gdb
on the target. (I'm not using gdbserver here). When I run my program under
gdb, and it stops at a breakpoint, I get the warning:

    [tcsetpgrp failed in terminal_inferior: Not a typewriter]

after this, gdb no longer accepts my keyboard input.

My guess is that the problem is caused by the kernel simply spawning a shell
without starting init, and is probably the same thing that stops CTRL-C working
on the console shell. My question then, is this: what's the simplest way to
make a shell on the console act like a normal shell on a host machine?

Thanks,
Graham