Embedded PPC (8xx/82xx) Linux kernel development: How it is done?

Graham Stoney greyham at research.canon.com.au
Wed Feb 2 18:02:04 EST 2000

Hi there,

Welcome to the team! I'll answer the bits I know about ...

diekema_jon writes:
> What is the division of labor between Dan and the rest?

Generally, Dan solves the problem before the rest of us get around to asking
about it. :-). Seriously though, there are lots of other contributing. I found
almost everything I hoped to contribute so far was already done, so I wrote a
HOWTO instead.

> 	- Is this a closed community?  Or, can others join the team?
> 	- If it is an open community, how does one join?  Are there any
> 	  posted rules?

No, Yes, You just did, and Maybe.

> 	- I want to contribute to the process of porting Linux to
> 	  run on the EST SBC8260 single board computer, but I need to
> 	  understand how to participate.

Start by searching the mailing list archives at:
    http://lists.linuxppc.org/lists/linuxppc-embedded

Then, ask on the list if anyone else has already done it, or is interested in
doing it, and see what response you get. If it hasn't been done yet, try all
the links in the HOWTO to see if it's been ported to a similar board.

Regards,
Graham