RomFS

Ruedi.Hofer at ascom.ch Ruedi.Hofer at ascom.ch
Tue Feb 1 17:55:45 EST 2000

> Hi

Hi!

> That sounds good and it works. snip
>
> But how can I mount this rom/ramdisk from the kernel as its root disk?

Well, um, you can't.
I guess you have to write a simple read-only block device driver yourself...
I think i've seen a posting before by a guy alex at signum.se who has written
a flash file system, you might be able to steal some code from him.
Search the linuxppc-dev and linuxppc-embedded lists.

> What do I have to supply as boot parameter?
>
> I would like to store the entire application in the flash (kernel + application)

If you have enough ram, make an initrd and load with 8xxrom (I don't remember
the command, but i've done it.)

But be sure to check/fix the ramdisk, it might be broken.

I don't know your budget, but small ATA-Flash cards are cheap.
And really nice.

I've got a almost-working pcmcia driver waiting to be bugchecked
and released here...

And 8xxrom boots from ATA-Flash too.

Cheers /

Magnus