Linux on Motorola Sandpoint/PPMC7400

Alex Shnitman alexsh at hectic.net
Tue Aug 29 07:35:44 EST 2000

Hi, Gabriel!

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 10:03:26PM +0200, you wrote the following:

> > Also, is there anything special I should know about booting Linux from
> > dink32? Here's what I did, and how it failed. I got the latest kernel
> > snapshot from fsmlabs (I tried the same with both the latest 2.2 and
> > 2.3 trees). I set in the Makefile ARCH := ppc and CROSS_COMPILE :=
> > powerpc-linux- (the prefix for the tools that I have installed, on my
> > Debian box, from www.emdebian.org). "make menuconfig", there I made
> > sure I have support for serial console, there I also set the boot
> > command line (PReP command line it says) to "console=ttyS0,9600
> > console=ttyS0 root=/dev/ram" (I don't really have initrd yet, I want
> > to see the kernel booting first). Then make zImage, which compiles
> > fine, "file arch/ppc/boot/zvmlinux" tells me it's indeed a PowerPC ELF
> > image, then I zsrec it to an srec file (I tried all kinds of offsets
> > to that offset, and then it just hangs...
>
> You can't start an ELF image from jumping at it sload address. But I know
> only PPCBUG and OF, not your firmware.

But zsrec (the thing that creates the srecords from the binary file)
strips the 64k ELF header of the kernel image, so it should be fine?
Or shouldn't it? Or did I misunderstand you?

If there's something basic that I don't understand, I'll be very happy
with an RTFM link too! The thing is that I've read through the FMs
that I've found and so far it looks to me as if I'm doing it right.

Thanks!

--
Alex Shnitman                            | http://www.debian.org
alexsh at hectic.net, alexsh at linux.org.il   +-----------------------

"Xenix is the pinnacle of modern UNIX design, and will be used for
many years to come."
	-- Xenix OS API manual