Problems using shared library in corss environment

Mike Wolf mwolf at cray.com
Tue Aug 22 02:34:37 EST 2000

Seong-kyu Ko wrote:

> Hi everybody.
> First, I'm sorry for my weak English, but please read my problem and help
> me.
>
> I have some problems in building a powerpc corss compiler environment.
> I'm now trying to build a cross environment, the host is i386 and target
> is powerpc.
>
> These are the packages that I used.
> 1. binutils-2.10
> 2. gcc-2.95.2
> 3. glibc-2.1.3 (add-ons : glibc-crypt-2.1, glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.3)
>
> First, I compile the binutils for powerpc cpu.
> Second, I build cross compiler with gcc.
> Third, I compile glibc for powerpc with cross compiler that I made.
> Last, I re-build cross compiler include glibc for library.
>
> And I compiled kernel with cross compiler that I made.
> Yeah, it's ok. And I compile 'init' with static library.
>
> but I compile shell with shared labrary, it use ld.so.1 and libc.so.6
> The problem is ld.so.1 can't found libc.so.6
> The error message is this :
> 'error in loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory'
>
> Please tell me why it can't find that and how can I solve this problem.
> I'll wait your answers.
> thank you.

You probably have the shared libs in the wrong location.  Where ever
they
reside on you cross compiler is where they will need to reside in the
ppc
tree.  So instead of putting them in /lib or /usr/lib put them in
/home/.../target/powerpc-linux-gnu/lib or whatever directory the libs
were
installed into when you made the cross compiler.

If you are NFS mounting the root dir then you can use snoop to see
where ld.so is looking for the shared libs.

--
Mike Wolf
Cray Inc