What is embedded linux ?

Graham Stoney greyham at research.canon.com.au
Thu Aug 17 10:29:20 EST 2000

Pravin Pathak writes:
> I have a silly question. How does embedded linux works without disk
> support ?   I mean from where it loads shell and other application task
> images without any file system support?

It's not a silly question really.  The answer is that they're loaded from a
filesystem as normal, but the filesystem resides on some non-disk media.  Of
course it depends on your application; some embedded systems have a disk, but
many don't. For more info, see the section in the HOWTO at:
    http://members.xoom.com/greyhams/linux/PowerPC-Embedded-HOWTO-12.html

> For VxWOrks/pSOS have a single object file.

And the academics used to criticise the Linux kernel for being monolithic! :-).

Regards,
Graham
--
Graham Stoney