MPC860T

duncanp at research.canon.com.au duncanp at research.canon.com.au
Fri Apr 28 11:29:48 EST 2000

On 27 Apr, Ruedi.Hofer at ascom.ch wrote:
> Hi
>
> After some success with the native 860, I moved now to the 860T
> on the FADS evaluation board.
>
> With this test setup, I'd like to do some internetworking tests.
> (like routing ...)
>
> For that reason I need the FEC working as well as the SCC1 enet.
>
> Facts:
>
> 1. The SCC1 enet compiles and runs ok on its own.
>
> 2. I'm not able to compile the kernel with only FEC enabled.
>  (commproc.h reports: #error, undefined config!)

This is a bit strange - i'm doing just this with no problems. Could you
post a copy of your .config?

> 3. Is it possible to use SCC1 enet and FEC simultaneously.
>  (fec.c has a comment like:
>  If using multiple enets on 8xx, this needs some work!)

This jsut refers to setting MAC addresses for the interfaces. The board
info structures for all boards in the current kernel only include 1 MAC
address, so the 1st interface (the SCC) uses this address, and the MAC
address for the 2nd interface (i.e. the fec) is generated by
modifying the address in the board info struct a bit. This is probably
not neccesary for the router config you are talking about - as long as
you are not going to have both interfaces plugged into the same network
segmenet, its ok for them to share the same MAC address.