Debugging 8260 under gdb/linux?

Dan Malek dan at netx4.com
Tue Apr 25 03:21:33 EST 2000

"Gessner, Matt" wrote:

> Are there any such solutions for linux?

MontaVista has a boot rom with minimal debug support.  It is what
I used to do the initial port.  I will soon add the XMON and KGDB
support just like the 8xx has.

> What external hardware do I need?

I am not a fan of the JTAG/COP/BDM tools because once the kernel
starts up they just get in the way.  There is a small window of tough
debugging between jumping to the kernel and starting a serial port for
KGDB, and once past that I just use remote GDB.  Since the kernel already
boots way past that point, and none of this is board dependent, you
should only need a Linux development host.  Here, I prefer using the
native PowerPC Linux hosts (I like my iMac :-), and MontaVista has
cross tools for other platforms available.

	-- Dan