Basic questions about PPC embedded developement under Linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 11 18:58:58 EST 2000

In message <000601bfa383$92e508b0$4f689ec0 at w-shanta.india.tek.com> you wrote:

> I have a small question regarding the "bdiGDB".
> I need to first flash the kernel image into the flash memory. Can this be
> done with the debugger??

Yes. Using the telnet interface, you can  use  the  LOAD  command  to
download an image to RAM, and the PROG command to write it to FLASH:

PROG   [<offset>] [<file>]   program flash memory

> Also the boot monitor needs to load the kernel image from the flash memory
> to the RAM and start executing it.
> Can this be traced with "bdiGDB"??

You can use a "target remote" command in GDB to attach to the  BDI200
debugger;  then  you  can use GDB; or you can do everything "by hand"
using the telnet interface and commands like these:

GO    [<pc>]                 set PC and start target system
TI    [<pc>]                 trace on instuction (single step)
TC    [<pc>]                 trace on change of flow
HALT                         force target to enter debug mode
CI  [<id>]                   clear instruction breakpoint(s)
CD [<id>]                    clear data breakpoint(s)

Hope this helps.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The game of life is a game of boomerangs.  Our  thoughts,  deeds  and
words return to us sooner or later with astounding accuracy.