Software Emulation Exception...

Pavel Roskin pavel_roskin at geocities.com
Sat Apr 8 01:20:52 EST 2000

Hello, Jason!

> I was hoping you all would pass some knowledge on to me.  Occasionally our
> application dies and our board goes into a loop of printing
>
> "Software Emulation %s/%d NIP: %lx *NIP: 0x%x code: %x"

This happened to me when I tried to read more than 8 megabytes of data
from ATA Flash inthe same time by using e.g.

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null count=17000

The problem has gone after upgrading to the Montavista kernel (from their
CDK 1.0)

However, I have no idea what caused the problem and whether it has been
fixed.

By the way, I found a newer kernel (March, 23) in
ftp://ftp.mvista.com/pub/CDK/updates/1.0/ppc_8xx/SRPMS/

I haven't tested it yet.

Pavel Roskin